Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Beau is 17 Months Old!

Another month older for Beau means a ton of new things happening!  Unfortunately two of the things were not fun . . . he had Hand Foot Mouth Disease and Pink Eye since the 16 month post.  He also had tons of fun and lots of learning!  He's such a happy kid, but he's also very sure of himself and not afraid to voice what he wants out of life!  He can be the sweetest little guy one moment then throw a massive fit over not getting his way a moment later.  I think that's pretty normal, so we're just trying to move on to the next phase by not responding to the outburst.  But more often than not, Beau's totally my squeezable teddy bear!  He loves to cheese-out for pictures, and I love his happy face! 
 I haven't weighed him lately, but he was 28 lbs two weeks ago.  I would venture to guess he has gained a pound or two since then.  He loves to eat!!  As long as I'm serving up the good stuff, he'll eat for hours.  Sometimes I have to force him away from the table!  His faves:  rotini with meat sauce (see messy face picture!), baked fish, macaroni & cheese, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, fruit salad, rice, grilled chicken, bananas, hot dogs, and any type of cracker or cookie.  We had a little veggie boycott right around the time he had Hand Foot Mouth Disease, but he's back on track with steamed carrots, green beans and broccoli.  Linc has been such a great example to show him that eating veggies is fun! 

Beau has learned so many new words this month.  I know the 8 days he spent in isolation with me, Nana and Minnie (alternating) was a real catalyst in his language development.  He had a lot of words before that, but I think he finally understood the concept that words have meaning during that time.  He can repeat any word that you say, then use it again when he wants to communicate.  Beau is really purposeful and direct with his words and gets that he's telling me something, not just randomly saying words over and over.  What a smartie!!!  (Like I needed another "talker" around here . . . )  His latest words are:  night-night, oh-no, come on (complete with a hand gesture), stuck (because Linc's always trapping him in a closet or corner), open, close, door, happy (only said while eating at the table-we discuss making a happy plate with Beau and Linc, and Beau always makes a happy plate and loves to say "happy" when he's done!), back pack, clock, hol-vee (means hold me), and finally he's learned to say "Lincky"!  I love that he runs up to Lincoln and identifies him, and Beau even grabs something of Linc's and tells me that it's "Lincky's"!!!   
I swear Beau is the sweetest, smartest, silliest little 17 month old ever!!!!  I hate that he had a bad month of illness, but I'm happy that he's well today.  He's such a little sponge and lives life to the fullest.  I can't wait for another month to watch him grow even more.  Happy 17 months Beau!!

No comments: