Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More Teeth and New Skills

I should remember to cherish the days when everyone is healthy and happy because we keep getting hit with little illnesses that make everyone sad. Granted we aren't having any serious illnesses, thank goodness, but I hate anything that makes my boys feel bad. Beau is back to teething, and this time he has two teeth breaking through at the same time. I should point out that I think it's easier on him than the last time when three teeth were coming in, but he's not doing so well right now. Friday night was the beginning of tooth number one (top side) beginning to poke through, and Saturday was the beginning of tooth number two (top middle) beginning its descent. Since then we've had low fevers, lots of runny noses, drool, and plenty of neediness. He still tries to have fun, but it's not the same. He can play for a bit on his own, but mostly wants Mommy to be holding him near. I'm hopeful that we're nearing the end of the pain of the "breakthrough" stage, and that the pain lessens as the teeth fully emerge. Is that just wishful thinking? I can't stand to see poor Beau in so much pain!

Lincoln's school has Parent/Teacher Conferences a few times a year to make sure we are working together on the skills Lincoln needs. Of course, I knew he would be off the charts because he's such a smartie, and I wasn't wrong! His teacher had a glowing review and said his communication/verbal skills are way above the 2-3 year old chart. I totally agree! Of the 60 items on the checklist (for small motor skills, large motor skills, physical development, language development, social interaction), we have just four things to work on before he turns three. Picking up small toys with tongs, catching a ball against his body, following/recreating a pattern, and pouring water from cup to cup without spilling. Tonight I handed the kitchen tongs to a super excited Lincoln, and he went to work. This skill involves hand/eye coordination and depth perception. Within seconds, he figured out how to remove shapes from the box with the tongs then moved on to picking up animals from Noah's ark. What a pro! He was so proud, as was his Mommy!
Here's the "I DID IT" cheer!

Yes, I realize that it is 30 degrees in Dallas, and Lincoln has on no pants. He spilled milk on them during dinner, and we hadn't gotten around to getting new ones yet. Believe me - I had the heat on, and we were warm and toasty! Lincoln also mastered pouring water from one cup to another without spilling tonight. I gave him two cups while he was in the tub, and the practice began. He did great! I'm not saying I want to give him cups full of water to play with on the rug, but he didn't spill anything tonight! We're checking off these skills quickly . . . maybe I need a new checklist!!

No comments: