Monday, October 17, 2011

Swimming Like a Fish

After many tears (Lincoln) and much patience (Mommy), I can officially report that Lincoln loves swim class! At the end of each lesson, he pumps his fist in the air and shouts, "Best Class Ever"! I love it! The summer session was murderous with screaming and crying. He just didn't like it at all and was terrified of everything. I was determined that once he "got it" all would be fine, so I enrolled us for the (LONG) fall session. (We're booked until mid-January.) Every Monday we worked on getting less upset in the pool. About a month ago, I told Lincoln in the car on the way to the lesson that his teacher had called me earlier in the day. Here's the conversation:

Me: Linc, Ms. Karen called me today.

Linc: Ms. Karen call you? What she say?

Me: Ms. Karen said they have a new rule in the pool. She said that kids can't cry in the pool anymore.

Linc: Ms. Karen say no cry in the pool anymore, Mommy?

Me: Yes, baby. She said none of the kids can cry in the pool anymore.

Linc: No, Mommy. No cry in the pool anymore.

Viola! He hasn't shed a tear since! Why didn't I think of this months ago? Sometimes it takes Mommies awhile to think of the right thing to say I guess. Little Fishy Linc is the best swimmer ever and loves each exercise. He's swimming underwater for 7 seconds and emerges with a smile on his face every time! The sub teacher last week asked if we would consider moving him up to the next class. Hold on lady - you weren't here for the torture. He's just now liking it! Linc often tries to get me to stop at the Wendy's in the parking lot for ice cream (Frosty). Occasionally I do it, but he then he informs me that he doesn't like ice cream and that I should eat it. Tonight he insisted that he needed it and that he would eat it. Apparently his charm worked, and I dutifully ordered a small Frosty. Guess what? He loved it!

He took each bite very carefully and tried not to make a mess. It was a fun treat after a great swim!
My Mommy-brain must have really been out of whack tonight because after we pulled away from Wendy's, Linc decided he needed to eat it on the way home. No way, right? Soft ice cream in the car in the dark with a 2 1/2 year old spells disaster! Mysteriously, I found myself handing him the cup and spoon. He was in heaven and didn't make (much of) a mess.


If I only have to spend $1.07 on a few Mondays to reward my little fishy, I'm happy with that. What a big and brave boy he's becoming. And sure enough, tonight he happily yelled, "Best Class Ever" as we pulled away!

No comments: