Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pumpkin Carving

When we picked out our pumpkins at the pumpkin patch, Lincoln gave me strict instructions that they were only to be painted later.  I agreed, even though I would definitely prefer to carve them into jack o'lanterns.  I'm not sure what changed his mind (I didn't say a word!), but he told me on Saturday afternoon that we needed to carve them.  Hooray!  We went outside with our tools and got busy cleaning out the pumpkins.  The boys chose two of the silliest (and most worthless) spoons to help me!  Ready for action . . .
When I cut the top off the first pumpkin, they came in close to check out the guts.  Eeewwww, said Beau!  Most of the cleaning out was left to Mommy, but I had lots of entertainment as I gutted the pumpkins.  For some reason, they brought all of their musical instruments outside to sing and dance while I worked!   
Lincoln was very direct about telling me how his pumpkin face should look.  Happy, not mean!  Beau had lost interest by then, so Linc told me the same for Beau's pumpkin.  Beau was happy with the result, and he happily posed by his friendly pumpkin with a light inside.   
Luckily, Lincoln thought my handiwork was great as well.   What a relief!  It's super important to have a great jack o'lantern look perfect!  We texted our pumpkin pictures to Bubbles for his approval.  He's the best pumpkin carver I know, and he was proud!  
It's pretty hard to make a face on a small pumpkin, so I'm glad they were happy with the results.  They really like to check on the pumpkins and see it the lights inside are working.  One more fun thing about fall that I love to pass on to them is the joy of carving pumpkins.  They are definitely not ready to wield a knife yet, but maybe next year I can get them to help me clean them out.  Either way, I'm just glad to have some fun helpers who are excited about fun fall activities. 

No comments: