Friday, March 18, 2011

Not Just Any Old Day

I would never have imagined a day like today, but we made it through and even had a few smiles before it was over. I was discharged from the hospital this morning and had to make the longest walk . . . . away from the hospital and away from Beau. I don't think I saw much of the ride home through my tears, so good thing I'm not allowed to drive right now! He was sleeping soundly when we left, and I was anxious to get home, get unpacked, get pumping, and get back to see him. Beau had a good night and his oxygen had been lowered to 40%, which was great news. He looked calmer than ever, but a little lonely in that little plastic box he's in. The (first) best part of my day was that I got to hold him during his feeding (still through feeding tube) and for an extra couple of hours during his nap. It was heaven!!!! I tried to take our picture, and there's no describing the joy I felt!
I loved feeling his little breathing and smelling his wonderful baby scent, and I could just imagine millions more moments like this one (in our comfy house, not in the NICU). Our friend Eric saw this picture and summed it up perfectly: For that moment it appears the world is back in alignment. I couldn't agree more! The Doctor's report was great for Wednesday night and into Thursday. She is pleased with Beau's progress and was glad to approve my snuggle time! She also noted that his resting "work of breathing" is close to a normal newborn, but his awake rate is still pretty fast. His latest chest xray shows less "fuzziness" so it looks like he's developing the surfectant needed to keep his little lungs open. We're hopeful for more great progress in the next few days. I still haven't been able to go in Beau's room at home, and there have been several "moments" of breakdowns today. I will be so thankful when he's home with us, but I am so thankful each minute that he's being taken care of so well. I said a prayer over him today and will continue to do so, knowing he'll be home with us soon.
After such a wonderful day, we headed to pick up Linc from school. He was elated to have both Mommy and Daddy there! He ran down the hall showing us all the fun stuff he likes to do and got to ride the merry-go-round three times! The (second) best part of my day was just sitting outside in the warm sunshine blowing bubbles with my little man. He would occasionally come give me a hug and say "Awww." It was precious! It has been great for all of us to be back home together, and I know Lincoln will take full advantage of this "transition" time. He's loving on his Mommy a lot, and I love it!
So keep praying for us and know that I am grateful for each one of those prayers.

2 comments:

Dale said...

If you need a ride to the hospital or a substitute "snuggler" - just give me a call. I can be wherever at the drop of a hat ! Prayers for all of you.

Hayley said...

Thanks so much for the update. Glad to hear the good news. I am sure Lincoln is thrilled to have Mommy home. I know the days apart from Beau feel long, but before you know it, they will be a distant memory. Thinking of you guys!