Saturday, March 19, 2011

Busy Times

Life is a complete whirlwind right now . . . I'm trying to keep track of the millions of events and emotions going on. I'll start with a Lincoln update this time. He's doing great without having to rely on Mommy all the time. He and Daddy do fun stuff like go to Home Depot and eat pretzels with cheese. I'm glad they are having fun, so I don't feel so guilty about running back and forth to the hospital all day. Gymnastics is always a favorite, and Linc had an especially good time today. He and his buddy, Patrick, jumped like crazy! I'm not my normal crawl-around self, but I can make it up and down from the floor just fine. Lincoln is very excited to have my full lap back . . . no more giant belly in the way when he wants to sit down. We've looked at lots of books since I've been home.
On to the Beau updates - Kevin was able to hold him for the first time Saturday morning, and it was wonderful for everyone! I think he forgot how little babies can be, and he was kind of nervous about all of the wires and tubes. He tried to give him back after just a few minutes, but the NICU nurse wouldn't take him back. She assured Kevin that they were doing fine!
On Friday night, Beau got moved to a big boy crib! He didn't need the warmer or other gadgets on the other little bed, so he graduated! He's got a bit of diaper rash right now, I think because he messes his diaper a lot. I told the nurse today that my boys go before, during and after a feeding, so she should be prepared!
In fact, he's doing so well that his oxygen tube has been removed!!!! Free to breathe all on his own, and he's doing great! His respiratory rate has been consistent, and we're so proud! The nurse moved his feeding tube from his mouth to his nose, so we can get a better look at just how cute he is! I think he's looking a lot like Lincoln these days. (Not the best picture - he flinches at the flash on my phone!)
Not having a feeding tube in his mouth makes our other adventure much easier . . . I began nursing him on Saturday morning! It was a pretty good first effort, though I'm not sure he got anything from me. They were giving his feeding through the tube at the same time, so he didn't go hungry. The second time was much better. He seemed to really get it! I can try three times on Sunday, so I'm sure he'll be a pro soon. We are so blessed that he's getting stronger so quickly. All of the millions of prayers for Beau are being answered, and we're so grateful. We're a few steps closer to being home as a family of four, and we can't wait! Lincoln is especially getting ready . . . this morning he got the broom and dust pan from the laundry room and walked straight to Beau's room. Kev asked what he was doing, and he answered, "Sweep Baby Beau's room, Daddy." OK!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so happy to hear that Beau is making great strides! We know you are anxious to go home and get adjusted to the "new normal"! We continue to send our thoughts and prayers your way!
Love, Jim and Lee Ann

Lometa said...

I am so glad to hear that Beau is improving with each day. I know you will be such a happy family when he is home with the rest of you. Best wishes.

Paige and Jon Erickson said...

Yea for Beau! So glad he is doing well :) He is absolutely adorable!!! Yall are in our prayers!