Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Daddy's Day!

I'm sure most fathers deserve more than just one day to be recognized, but we'll settle with one official day. Happy Father's Day to Kevin, my Dad, and Kevin's Dad. We have such great role models for how a father should be: caring, strong, patient, and wise. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't call our dads for something! I bet they wonder if we're ever going to grow up! I'm so proud of the Dad that Kevin has become. He's really taken on so many responsibilities that help me so much, we count on him for millions of things each day, he takes care of us and provides for us, and he and Lincoln have such an amazing bond that I love to watch grow. Daddy got to sleep in a bit today (9:30!) then Lincoln helped him with his cards and gifts. We gave him a new Polo shirt, books to read to Lincoln, and 5 super sized boxes of latex gloves. (Does that last one sound weird? Seriously . . . Kevin wears gloves to change diapers, take out the litter and trash and prep dinner. Don't judge - he'll be the last to get sick from any wild germs!!!! Besides, I think this was his favorite gift of the day!) He and Linc also got matching flip flops to wear - so cute!


Because it's a kid"s job to keep their parents on their toes, Lincoln gave us one scare on Father's Day. He was running through the house helping me put away the laundry and fell on the tile. He cried a bit, got back up and walked down the hall, then fell into screams. Kevin ran to see him and saw lots of blood, so he yelled for me to come quick. I kept a washcloth in his mouth soaking up the blood and tried to look for damage for what seemed like ever. The blood slowed, and I was able to take a look in his mouth to see nothing! Here's the picture that was taken 5 minutes (seriously!) after the fall! The bleeding stopped so quickly, and he was back to playing with his books like nothing ever happened! He never complained again the rest of the day. Whew, what a scare!


Lincoln's fall today made me think about how many times I'll clean up these types of falls. Moms are often in charge of injuries, but on Father's Day I remember one incident when my Dad had to clean me up. I fell in the street in front of our house (around 7 years old), and Dad whisked me upstairs to the bathroom to clean the pebbles out of my knee. He didn't have a gentle touch like Mom, but a firm comforting hold that made it all better. The little scar on my knee reminds me that Dads are always there when you need them. I know Lincoln will have a memory of his Daddy holding him tight and fixing him too.

Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Teresa Westmoreland said...

What an adorable family!!! It is great to see what is going on with you guys who are so far away :) Shea finally convinced me to do a blog of our own. I'm glad we finally decided to do it. It will be great to keep in touch. Teresa

Megan said...

HAHA LATEX GLOVES! that is hilarious! At work we always talk about how wierd it is to change diapers without gloves because we are so accustomed to them... I will probably have some too!