Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Land of Germs

The weekend got off to a dramatic start . . . and not in a good way!  I noticed a little rash on Beau's ankle shortly after the kids got home from school on Friday afternoon.  Off to the after hours pediatric clinic we went to learn that it was probably not Impetigo (a kid in Beau's class reportedly had that on Wednesday) but maybe Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease!  The Dr couldn't be sure because he had no fever and no other real rash spots, but then a few spots came up on his palms while we were talking.  NO WAY!!!!  I've been dreading this virus since Lincoln started in daycare.  It seems like it appears a few times a year, and I just hold my breath that they don't get it.  I know it can be really severe and result in dehydration and hospital visits . . . so scared for them!  By the time Beau and I get home, he's got a couple of blisters on the bottom of his feet.  Ten minutes later I see a few more blisters on his hands.  Nooooooo!  The real kicker was the two sores that popped up on his tongue within 15 minutes.  This is real, and I am not happy!  Amazingly, he slept peacefully for almost 11 hours.  I was so nervous that I would find a feverish, polka-dotted, blistered up kiddo when I went into his room, but he was happy to get up and have a little breakfast of cereal, milk and a pancake.  Yay, I think.  I went ahead and made an appointment to see our regular pediatrician during their short Saturday office hours, and they confirmed the diagnosis.  YUCK!  The Dr seemed to think that Beau was presenting a very mild case of Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease, as he still had no fever, very few in-the-mouth sores, and a hearty appetite for food and beverages.  The Dr also commented on how fun and silly Beau was being during the visit.  True - he was at his best!  We were in the Noah's Ark themed room, and Beau was making all kinds of animal sounds, talking up a storm, and chowing down on Ritz crackers the whole time.  He's such a silly (and makes his Mommy crazy) boy!
 Our plan to keep Lincoln as far away from Beau's germs was to keep him out of the house as much as possible, and for Beau and I to be quarantined to two rooms.  We had a lot of success with those two things today, but I'm never sure if that's enough.  Linc and Daddy had a few errands to run last night and this morning, and they went to baseball practice then grabbed lunch.  Beau was still not feeling the effects of his virus, as promised by the book and Dr.  I made him organic cheese raviolis with marinara, and he gobbled them up like crazy.  He finished that off with carrots and cookies and a huge cup of milk . . . um, is he really sick??? 

We settled in for naps pretty quietly at first, but Lincoln isn't really into naps these days.  He was reading books in his bed for about an hour then called for a rescue.  Nana and Pops were waiting to whisk him off to Non-Germ-Land, where he undoubtedly had the run of the house.  Beau and I did some playing, read lots of books, went through soooo many pictures of our family, and did a crazy amount of snacking.  Seriously, I am amazed at how much he ate!  Apparently, Linc was so worn out by his morning errands, baseball practice, no nap and playing at Nana and Pops house . . . he fell asleep in the car on the way home!  (This hasn't happened in at least a year!)  New Saturday schedule?????

One of Lincoln and Daddy's errands was to pick up a birthday cake for someone special - Mommy!  I will never forget this 33rd birthday for a million reasons!   Of course they went to Steins and the cake did not disappoint.  I thought of it often as Beau and I were in seclusion.  A birthday party (of some sort) was awaiting me!
 Sure enough, my little guys were in the mood to party!  Beau ate his cake with gusto!  He didn't stop shoveling it into his mouth until I took the plate away!  He even said a word resembling birthday while eating.  Thanks buddy!  I know we've bonded a lot over this recent illness, and I appreciate you being kind!
 Lincoln has been in major birthday celebration mode for a week!  He loves all things birthdays, whether it's for him or not.  I was so sad to cancel our Mi Cocina birthday party last night, and I'm glad we got to have a little party tonight.  He and Daddy sang Happy Birthday to Mommy, gave me fun cards and presents, delivered a few more gifts and he finally got to eat the cake! 
I received so many wonderful cards, gifts, and well wishes for my 33rd birthday, and I am so thankful for a loving network of family and friends.  But mostly what I wish for my 33rd birthday is the existence of Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease to end FOREVER!!!!  It might be a miracle if Lincoln doesn't get it, even though we're keeping them as far apart as possible.  It will be an amazing act of God if I don't get it . . . I know it's just a childhood disease, but he completely covers me in germs every second.  For every Happy Birthday I get, I'd like to request a prayer directed my way of Have Mercy! 

No comments: