Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Birthday Observations

As of July 21, I am officially 30!! It sounds so much older than 29, right? I don't know what I thought would happen when I turned 30, but nothing did. I didn't sprout horns or keel over or emit fog or any other fairy tale torture. What does it really mean to be 30? I've thought about a lot about this question lately, and I've decided it could even be a good thing!

*I know who I am, and I'm confident enough to be me. Being comfortable with the good and not so good about me is quite freeing.
*Being a mom, wife, daughter, sister and friend are the most important things to me, and spending time to make those relationships successful is worth every minute.
*I don't have to wonder what it will be like to be a grown up anymore because I've become one. I love my son, keep my house clean, wake up early, and don't pick the onions off a burger (extra onions please!). Don't these qualities just scream grown up?!
*I have more love to give now than I could ever imagine, and I've realized how important it is to share that.

While I'm sure there are a few negatives about being 30, I'm not going to let that get me down. The wrinkle near my mouth that I noticed this morning is only there because I have so much to smile about. I am thankful to have so many blessings at 30. I have often thought, "This is the best time in life." Hanging out at the pool all summer in Newport, cheering on the Hogs with friends in Fayetteville, marrying and beginning a life with Kevin, and spending weekends at Branchcrest with our closest friends all made up the best times, but they keep getting better. Since Lincoln has joined us, I really am having the best time right now!

8 comments:

Watson's said...

I love your birthday observations and you're right--everything leading up to now has been important in shaping who you are but these are the best times. And guess what's even better? My Mimi is 75 (ish) and says EVERY part of your life is the best times!

Watson's said...

Oh, and BTW HAPPY 30th!!!

Hayley said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! I love your attitude and spirit. Keep it up!! It's contagious!

Love, Kathy (Lans and the boys)

Anonymous said...

Another Happy Belated Birthday! Joanne and I were just discussing your birthdate this evening, wondering if it was the 21st or 22nd. Anyway -- we also wish you many, many more!!

Love,
Larry and Marian

julia said...

Well said! Happy Birthday! And, welcome to the 30's... so far so good. Here's to many more! (I'm cheers-ing you!)

Jamie said...

Monica! I loved that post! You are so right it is nice to grow up and be sure of yourself and comfortable in your own skin. And I totally agree having kids and a family all of your own makes life wonderful! So glad were friends!

Jamie said...

Oh and happy belated bday!