Monday, June 10, 2013

Movie Date!!!

At the ripe old age of four, Lincoln has been to the movies a few times.  Mommy and Linc saw Cars 2 and The Smurfs, and Linc went to see Happy Feet with Nana and Pops.  None of that has been very recent though.  We've been doing things that Beau can participate in, and he doesn't seem like the type of 2 year old who would sit calmly and quietly in the movie theater for 90 minutes.  Hmmm . . . perhaps a big bag of popcorn would keep him busy!  Anyway, I got a text from the Mommy of Linc's best two girls at school (Lindsey and Erin of course!) on Saturday saying they were taking the girls to see Escape to Planet Earth on Sunday afternoon and "wanted to see if Lincoln could come along."  
Lincoln's thoughts:  How fun, right?  Sweet friends and a new movie!  Can I have popcorn?
Mommy's thoughts:  Do I drop him off and leave him?  What, that's crazy? Surely they don't plan for me to drop him off?  They don't have an extra car seat, so they can't bring him home!  Seriously, I can't just drop him off!  I'm going to respond "Linc and I would love to meet you at the movie!"  That way they know I'm coming whether they thought I would or not.  Although, if I had to drop him off with anyone, they are probably the parents I would choose.  They are super responsible, and their girls are so sweet and well-behaved.  Maybe Linc could learn something from them.  I think I'm over-thinking this right now!  But seriously, I might drop him off at the movie when he's 14, not when he's 4!  So we're both going to see Escape from Planet Earth.  
Daddy's thoughts (after I read Christine's text invitation and gave my explanation for accompanying him):  Dude!  You're crashing his first date!  It'll be fine.  Just drop him off!
We got all ready for our big date after lunch, and Linc was so excited.  He had been asking every 10 minutes when it was time to go.  He ate lunch in record time so we could leave.  
The kids were so good during the movie.  They all had popcorn and munched away happily!  The main movies we watch right now at home are Charlie Brown, Curious George and Cars, and none of them have a "bad guy".  There was definitely a "bad guy" in Escape to Planet Earth, and he scared Lincoln a few times.  Each time I pointed out that other people were laughing so it must not be scary, and Lincoln calmed down.  He did enjoy the silly aliens and the food fight especially!  He and Lindsey posed after the movie for a picture, but Erin was suddenly feeling shy! 
It was a real treat to be invited to the movie by such sweet friends.  We can't wait to go again, but Lincoln asked if he could pick the movie next time.  When asked if he had fun, he says yes!  When asked if he liked the movie, he says no!  I'm going to need to check the new movies coming out to find one that is "bad guy" free!  Christine told me this morning at school that they asked the girls after the movie why they liked Lincoln so much.  Lindsey responded that she loves Lincoln and wants to marry him.  She told them that he will be the king, and she will be a princess with a dress and carry the flowers so they can live happily ever after.  Sweetest thing ever!!  On second thought, it might be ok to take Beau to a movie.  He would probably be thrilled to shovel popcorn in his mouth for 90 minutes!  

1 comment:

Christine M said...

So funny! Love this post. When I was sending you the text, I totally was overthinking how to text you. If I said "you and Lincoln", would that exclude Dad? Certainly Dad could come along if he wanted. But, what about Beau? He's much too little for this movie. Beau seems so tough and maybe he would love it.
I decided it was assummed that a parent would come along. So funny to know now what you were wondering. =)
It was a fun time!
We should all go swimming next