Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Milk Maid

You know the old saying . . . 'don't cry over spilled milk', right? I told myself that at least 100 times yesterday, unfortunately I wasn't able hold back the tears. Breast milk is liquid gold at our house, and I'm constantly monitoring how quickly it comes and goes. I do lots of pumping to ensure the supply is plentiful, and I have always had enough without a problem. Recently it's become more difficult to produce as much, so I added another pumping session each day to get back ahead. Yesterday I completed my pumping sessions at work with great results and was ready to head home when disaster struck. As I transferred the bottles from the fridge to my bag, one slipped out of my hand and in super slow motion with a long loud "nooooooooo!" the lid busted off and milk streamed out! Six whole ounces gone in a flash! I'm not sure when I've felt so defeated, but I cleaned up the mess and hurried out. I managed to keep it together until I got to the car, but it was a rough ride home. I've decided that the old saying doesn't apply to breast milk. It's definitely ok to cry over spilled milk when it's this valuable! The good news is that I can always make more so Lincoln never has to know. He happily ate his dinner last night without a care in the world . . . and that's just how it should be!

3 comments:

Paige and Jon Erickson said...

I feel your pain. I used to hate it when I spilled even the slightest amount!!!

Hayley said...

I totally get it! I had a friend whose freezer stopped working when she had it stocked full of breast milk. She cried for days!

Misty said...

Been there too (like 5 times). I just think about all the babies out there who aren't able to get breastmilk and how I wasted it by a silly accident. Try not to let it beat you up too much. You're doing great!