Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Remaining Calm!

"What happens at Parent Education Class?" I've gotten that question a few times recently, so let me tell you. They scare the living daylights out of you, that's what!!!!!! I'm not sure it was such a smart move to attend now that we did, and I'm usually one of those people who likes to know exactly what's happening. We spent 4 hours on Saturday at the hospital getting prepped for all things childbirth. I had read the books and magazines that detail labor and delivery, but I didn't get a feel for it until the nurse led us step by step through the process. (I know what you're thinking: she still doesn't have a clue!) We started with "how to know you're in labor" and "admitting" and so far so good. Here's where it starts to go downhill (quickly!). IVs, epidurals, monitors (possibly internal!!), and many other torture devices are described with such gusto and certainty that I'm getting pale and a little nauseated. Once we got to the catheter, Kevin was urging me to step outside so I didn't get sick in class. How many hours did she say labor could last? Much of the "delivery" discussion was a blur, as I was trying not to run away and pass out at the same time! I regained my listening skills just in time for "recovery" which sent me right back over the edge. Did you guys know all the terrible things that happen after childbirth? Apparently it's not over when you deliver! Luckily it's time for a break. Snacks, anyone? The rest of the class was distracting: diaper changing (Kevin was a quick learner), bathing a newborn, carseat installation, and other general baby care information. We even got to visit the nursery and scope out a few newborns. (They are so cute! I know what these nurses are doing: they're trying to comfort me with the sight of babies, and it works for only a moment.) I'm proud to say I made it all the way out of the parking lot before histerics took over. Kevin had to pull over due to my uncontrolable and unconsolable crying. He was very sympathetic and loving, but it wasn't really working. After several days, a few long walks, and talking with my parents, his parents, and a few friends, I'm no longer refusing to give birth. (Mature of me, don't you think?) It seems that everyone else manages ok, and some people even choose to give birth again. It can't be that torturous, right? I've decided it might just be terrible at the time, but the reward is worth it and maybe my brain will block out the painful memories so I can do it again.

Moral of the story: too much information isn't always a good thing!

4 comments:

Paige and Jon Erickson said...

I know it seems most people have labor horror stories, but I truly had a great experience! You can do it!!! And it's definitely worth it :)

Jamie said...

OH Monica! I love you, your soooo funny! Don't worry I had a little panic myself when I visited the hospital this time too! But Paige is so right, you can do it and it's not as bad as one might think! And your brain will definately block it out, you will do it again. Any how the only piece of advice that I still remember from the last time is, when you don't want to feel that kind of pain again that's when you know it's time to get your epidural. Seems common sense but then again I don't think there is anything commmon sense about birth when it's happening to you! Besides you should get so uncomfortable that you don't care how it gets out!... and then problem solved! Happy 32 weeks!

julia said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm so sorry your class was so terrible. Ours was much better, or maybe they just didn't give me the dose of reality that you got. I keep telling myself that if junior high kids can do it, surely I can do it!

Trent, Amanda and Kennedy said...

I am definitely one of those people who did not want to be told all of the labor details. I knew the big details, and Trent and I attending childbirth class. However, for me, I did not have to push one bit because I had to have an emergency c-section. I can only speak for the c-section in saying that it was not bad at all. I did not feel a thing. After everything is said and done, Trent and I will definitely have a second child, but it will be a while. Being a parent is the best thing in the entire world!