Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A look back at our Christmas holiday . . . I left for Newport the Monday before Christmas. Mom, Dad, Allyson and I did some last minute shopping in Little Rock and began our week-long parade of food! We went to Allyson's favorite restaurant, El Puente, in Newport, and it didn't disappoint. On Tuesday morning we awoke to ice storms scattered through the state of Arkansas. After the all clear from the highway department, we headed down to Dumas. Auntie was waiting for us with a great dinner of duck and dressing, chicken and dumplings, okra, potatoes, and rolls. Does that sound like a southern Christmas meal or what?!?! I also requested banana pudding for dessert and it was super! We opened a few gifts and did lots of visiting then decided to get rested for the next day's activities. We headed out to Memama and Poppa's at lunch on Wednesday and waited for Kevin to meet up with us. (Of course I got to taste-test the apple pie for Christmas Eve!) Finally Kevin arrived and Baby Lincoln really got busy wiggling. Many of my family members got to feel a kick or two . . . and one of them was kind of creeped out! Allyson isn't sure she likes the feel of the baby kicking, but she kept reaching to feel again. Christmas Eve brought lots of good food at Julia Ann's house, and we opened lots of fun presents including Baby Lincoln's Razorback goodies. We headed back to Newport after dinner so we could wake up on Christmas morning at home. Dad's designated job on Christmas Day was cooking, but we managed to open lots of presents before he had to get started. Kevin is already making plans for my new mini-spring form pans: he requested little cookie cakes and brownie cakes. His favorite gifts were for Baby Lincoln, who really racked up the Razorback items. Kevin received his very own diaper bag (very man-ly with a Hog on it) and lots of stuff to put in it. Dad was in charge of pancakes (with grape jelly of course) and other breakfast staples, followed by the Freeman Christmas Lunch of cheese dip, finishing up the evening with hamburgers (my other pregnancy craving). All in all, mom and baby had a yummy day! Allyson came back to Dallas with us on Friday night, and we had lots of fun. We watched a few movies, shopped, slept in and had dinner with Eric and Samantha at Mi Cocina. I put her on a plane home yesterday afternoon happy that we got to spend so much time together. She's warming up to the baby and loves to watch Kevin obsess over my belly.

Unfortunately, I managed to take a pretty bad cold in the midst of the holiday. After spending hours researching different remedies on the internet, I called my doctor. I have been through all the symptoms over the past five days: sore throat, coughing, congestion, stuffiness, and now ear troubles. I'm confident there are no symptoms left for me to have, so this must be almost over! Everyone took such good care of me while I have been sick. I have to say I was very cautious regarding cold remedies, and it probably drove a few people crazy. Most cough suppressants, expectorants, decongestants, zinc cough drop therapies, liquids and pills are considered unsafe during pregnancy. I ready studies from all over the world on many different species and generally freaked myself out about drugs! Sometimes there's too much information available on the internet . . . anyway, Dr. Milstein to the rescue and I'm on the safest road to recovery.

Baby Lincoln has not slowed down at all. He's been keeping us entertained with lots of kicking and a repeat of the hiccups. His activity patterns have changed a bit. He does some serious dancing in the mornings, naps a bit, then wakes up for lunch. After another nap, he resumes dancing and kicking in the evening when we settle down. Kevin still loves to feel him kick, and I still love to watch the two of them. I never take for granted how amazing it is, and I love to share that with Kevin.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. My camera didn't come out of my purse even once, so I'll have to rely on others for photos. Perhaps Dad or Sarah will send me a few to post.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Trent, Amanda and Kennedy said...

Trent has a red Razorback backpack diaper bag that he likes to carry around. It was his manly diaper bag during football season. I hope that you had a merry Christmas. Happy New Years!

Megan said...

sounds like you had a good christmas! We missed you guys at the hotel! What is your e-mail? I want to get in touch to see about visiting!