Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Playing Opposum

Lincoln and Beau spent some time reading quietly together on the couch before bed (in their Komen shirts AGAIN), and then things turned silly!  They pretended they were all cuddled up sleeping, but their giggles gave them away.  When the camera came out, they couldn't contain the smiles.  But as a kiddo, eyes shut means parents should believe that they are sleeping (or sometimes invisible!) despite the crazy smiles and giggles.
They couldn't keep their eyes closed for too long! 
Finally they gave in and "woke up" to smile for the camera.  They really thought they were so sneaky and had tricked us! 
I used to play opossum with my Poppa each Friday night on the way to our sleepover, and it's really the most simple and fun game ever for a kid.  By the way, I just asked Kevin how to spell opossum, and we had to Google it . . . crazy that it begins with an "o".  Or maybe it's crazy that I'm so far removed from my 7th grade Jackson County Spelling Bee tournament and can't even remember how to spell opossum!  What would we have done in 1992 to find out the spelling of a weird word . . . thanks Internet!  Two silly boys had a lot of fun playing together this evening, and I love to capture the moments that they love each other.  There might have been a few moments of not exactly getting along that I overheard. 
Beau:  "I'm not your friend right now, Lincoln!" 
Lincoln:  "Well, I'm a better brother than you, Beau!" 
Beau:  "No, I'm a better person, Lincoln!" 
Lincoln:   "Well, you can't play with my Legos then!" 
Beau: "You can't tell me what to do!"
Lincoln:  "I don't even like you!"
Mommy:  "Hey!  We don't talk like that to our brother.  We always have to love our brother!"
Daddy:  "Did you guys hear what Mommy said?  We don't talk like that to our brother."
17 minutes later . . .
Beau:  "I need a hug, Lincoln!"
Lincoln:  "I won't squeeze too hard, Beau.  Can I give you a kiss too?"
Beau:  "Yes, but not a big one."
I've always heard that boys don't hold a grudge and get over things super fast, and that seems to be the case with my boys.  I'm glad they always work things out, and we will always remind them that after each fight/disagreement they have to hug it out and remember that being brothers is the most important thing.  They really are super close and love each other very much.  Watching their bond grow as best friends and brothers is an amazing thing!

No comments: