Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday Morning at the Dallas Arborteum

We haven't been to the Dallas Arboretum in a while (maybe because it's been so hot!), but we thought it would be fun to go in the morning before it got too hot.  The boys were already excited about the water feature at the entrance!  It's the little things, I guess!  Admission was only $1 each for the month of August (I guess they are willing to slash their prices in when it's crazy hot around here), so it was a cheap adventure!  Let the fun begin . . .
We went to the old timey Texas section first, and the log cabins were fun to explore.  I tried to explain that this one room hut with a chair, wooden bed and fireplace/kitchen area was someone's home once, and Lincoln told me there was no way someone lived in there.  Mommy might have screamed extremely (and embarrassingly) loudly about a bug, and we went to check out the next thing!  Apparently living in a teepee was way too crazy of a concept for these two because they couldn't even comprehend that someone would live in a tent!  They thought it was cool though!
We climbed in the covered wagon and talked about how this was one family's car that horses pulled to carry them around.  Again, two little brains were blown!!   
Back to the real world and there are fountains and pools to check out!  Beau was not interested in posing, as he was trying to follow the splashing water.  Linc gamely gave me a cheese! 
We had a long talk in the car about staying with Mommy and holding hands and minding, and I'm so proud that they were on their best behavior.  They mostly held onto my hands, but they ran ahead of me together and I love that they got to explore the small flower garden together.  Sweet brothers!! 
Forced pose with forced cheeses! 
We took a water/potty break and then headed to the Alice In Wonderland exhibit.  They thought the rabbit and mushrooms were so cool.   
There were several flower houses to visit, but Lincoln was a little disappointed by them.  Apparently I oversold the flower houses. He told me that they were mostly leaves and plants and not enough flowers . . . picky, much?!?! 
They did love the Mad Hatter Tea Party in one of the flower houses, and they laughed that a rabbit had on a hat that big!   
Beau seemed especially like a big boy today.  He was so good as we walked over the entire grounds, and he found so many things to talk about . . . birds, squirrels, flower colors, acorns to kick (that was his favorite!).  Love my sweet Beau! 
One of my favorite places at the Arboretum is the walkway with the tree canopy.  They had fun running down the sidewalk hand in hand.  Melt my heart! 
Lincoln was our guide for the day, and he loved to check his map and tell us where to go next.  Occasionally we wandered down a path that he deemed was on the map but secret to other visitors.  He was so proud when he actually (accidentally) led us where we wanted to go! 
Beau spotted a little yellow butterfly dancing above the flowers that lined the walkway, and he was determined to catch it.  Poor little guy chased that butterfly forever!  Each time he would get close, he would turn and snap his hands and just miss the innocent butterfly.   
We finished off our morning at the Arboretum with a picnic in the shade.  The boys told me they wanted a lunchable of turkey, cheese, pretzels and apple slices, so that's what I packed in the cooler.  We got settled in the shade and I fixed their plates, then Beau decided that my turkey sandwich looked yummy and stole it from me!!!   Still, I loved my lunch dates!
It was a warm morning, but we got cooled down as we ate lunch.  I so loved to spend this special time with them.  We didn't hurry, we walked at their pace, and we looked at whatever they wanted to look at . . . that is a lesson in patience for a Mom used to being in on-the-go mode!  Their pace is way more fun!  I told them on the way home that I was so proud that they behaved like such big boys at the Arboretum, and Linc responded that they are definitely big boys and they are the best!  I agree!!! 

No comments: