Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tales from Lincoln's Lunchbox

Lincoln is definitely a lunchbox kid!  He is a fan of many lunchbox staples, and I try to create a fun mix of things to keep him guessing during the week.  His most requested lunch is a homemade lunchable.  The ones pre-made in the stores gross me out because I'm not sure they are actually healthy.  The sodium levels are off the charts, and I'm not sure about the quality of the meat and cheese, plus the cookies/treats aren't suitable for a lunchbox.  So we make our own lunchables!  We get the healthiest black forest ham or roasted turkey breast from our favorite deli guy, natural cheddar, add a few crackers and fruit, and top it off with a cereal bar . . . instant success!!!  This one had ham with his favorite goodies.
He also likes sandwiches made with his favorite ingredients.  Pretzels and blueberries are a frequent request, and this lunch is a winner.  Silly Lincoln eats his sandwich crust-first, which is kind of weird for a kid!   
Back to the lunchable!  He instructs me on the ingredients and approves the final product.  Roasted turkey breast was our pick on this day with our favorite stuff to go with it.   
I found some fun bread shaped like goldfish crackers that he went wild for!  I'm sure a ham and cheese sandwich is super fun to eat when it's shaped like a fish, and goldfish pretzels definitely kept the theme.  
When we have tortillas left over from fajitas or tacos, Lincoln suggests a wrap for lunch.  He's happy to have crackers and a banana with his wrap, and that's a pretty hands on lunch!  
Back to the lunchable!  There are so many different combinations, and it's hard to get bored when things are switched up each day.  He eats apple slices like crazy, so I know this is one of his favorites! 
I wouldn't say that Lincoln is the most excited eater, but we have figured out what he likes, what is nutritious, and what works in the lunchbox.  He is thrilled about what we've packed each day, and I know he's actually eating it and getting proper nutrition.  His teacher loves the lunches and always tells me she is jealous!!  I'm pretty sure that her suggestion that I start a kids lunchbox business isn't practical, but I love that she and Lincoln both enjoy the lunch each day.  This tiny little labor of love makes my heart happy!

No comments: