Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mardi Gras Celebration

Since we couldn't make it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, we decided to have our own party on Fat Tuesday.  We loaded up with festive party supplies and had tons of fun!  The boys loved the necklaces and chocolate coins, and they took turns picking different colored chips.  
The King Cake turned out to be quite an effort.  I saw them already prepared at the grocery store, but I thought this mix would surely be as easy as any cake mix . . . boy was I wrong!  I decided to bake it Monday night, so it would be ready for our party on Tuesday evening.  First,I mixed the cake mix and yeast in a big ziploc bag.  Next I added a cup of hot water and a cold stick of butter to the bag and mushed it together until the butter was melted and added an egg and kneaded for 15 minutes.  The dough needed to rise for almost two hours, then I was able to roll it out to a long narrow rectangle.  The praline mixture went on top and it was all rolled up and formed into an oval.  Finally I got to bake it, and it smelled delish!  On Tuesday afternoon, the boys got to help me drizzle the icing and do the sprinkles.  They loved getting to help with their favorite part!  After a (non-Cajun) dinner of pork tenderloin and green beans, it was time to eat the King Cake! 
Lincoln and Beau were only interested in the icing and sprinkles - typical.  I tried a small slice of the cake and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't bad, but it was more bread/pastry than cake.  I took the rest to the boys' teachers and my friends at work.  Surprisingly, I got rave reviews that it was the best King Cake ever.  Who knew?!?!  We had fun at our Mardi Gras party, even though Lincoln kept singing about our Morning Ground party. Whatever the occasion, we just like a good party.  Valentine's Day is next, and we've been preparing for days.  Stay tuned!

No comments: