Sunday, February 23, 2014

Olympics Watching Buddy!

Oh, how I love the Olympics!  It is always a special two weeks to get to know more about the athletes, countries, and lesser known sports.  My first "real" Olympic memories are of dressing up in my gymnastics suit (my favorite was the orange with white polka dots leotard) each evening and doing my best to recreate their routines in my living room while watching both the Barcelona Games in 92 and the Atlanta Games in 96.  I probably drove my family crazy!!!  Lincoln has embraced the Olympics as well, and I love to have a super excited watching buddy.  On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights he gets to stay up after Beau goes to bed, and we watch the NBC broadcast of the days most exciting events.  We shout "USA" often, and he picks a different country to cheer for if the USA isn't in that round.  Occasionally he loses interest and picks up a cookbook to flip through.  He has selected a pork roast and fingerling potato recipe for us to try soon!  When he came across the Christmas recipe section in the Taste of Home cookbook, he was so excited to see gingerbread men!  I love spending this sweet time with a little boy who is growing up way too fast.  When he is 14 or 18 or 22 and doesn't want to spend too much quality time with Mom, I'll have to remember these days.
He has learned about different countries, different flags, and different athletic events.  His Highlights magazine this month had a cartoon of a bobsled team, and he immediately recognized what they were doing.  We have discussed lots about skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, bobsledding, and so much more.  What an amazing opportunity to open his eyes to so many new things! 
He's also the cutest (and best pajama dressed) guy to watch the Olympics with, he's also the silliest.  He keeps me laughing at all times.  When a USA speed skater girl didn't win her heat, he decided it was because we were talking and that distracted her.  We were super quiet during the other USA competitors for the rest of the evening, but we still made time to laugh. 
When I told him that Sunday night was the last night of the Olympics, he insisted that he wear his wedding pjs.  He thinks his navy pjs are kind of like Daddy's wedding tuxedo (in pictures), so they are his fancy pjs.  So cute!   Daddy isn't really into the Olympics right now, but I know he spent his own time doing gymnastics routines while watching when he was younger.  He even went to gymnastics camps with Bart Conner and Bela Karoli.  He still pines over Kim Zmeskal, but I think I'm an ok second.  I did a little bit of balance beam work while the kids were in Open Gym on Friday, and I think I've still got it!
So we watched the closing ceremonies with Mommy knowing that she doesn't get to spend this extra quiet special time for two more years and Lincoln knowing that he now has to just go to bed on time.  Bittersweet for all! 
I will never forget these times with my Lincoln.  I hope we get to share this excitement again when the summer games are in Rio, and I really hope he's not too cool for me in four years when the next winter games are in South Korea.  Beau will be old enough to join us soon, and he will love that!  I'm not sure all three of us can fit in one chair, but I would love a Olympics watching party on the couch surrounded by my favorite kiddos.  And for one last time, GO USA!!!

No comments: